Minivans are the quintessential all-American family car – the most accommodating, child-friendly vehicles on the planet. And after researching and test-driving all the top minivans out in the market today, our family finally settled on the 2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L.
Several posts ago I had promised a review of our minivan for anyone who is on the fence about leaving their cooler cars behind and taking the depressing leap to soccer-momhood. Although I wasn’t originally excited about the purchase, it has quickly become my favorite vehicle….like a cozy home away from home.
After taking a roadtrip to North Carolina this past weekend from my mom’s house in a rental Dodge minivan, my appreciation for my Odyssey grew even more.
So, let me walk you through all the reasons I adore my Honda Odyssey:
1. It feels like you’re driving a small car, and isn’t too high or too wide, so it’s easy to maneuver, park, etc. This is great because I don’t feel like I’m doing bench presses every time I lift a carseat or stroller in and out of the car. Also makes it easier for the kids to climb in and out of the car on their own.
2. Keyless entry in the car is amazing when your hands are full with two toddlers, a stroller with an infant, a diaper bag, groceries, etc. Self-Locking is also amazing for the same reason, you can leave your car frazzled and forgetful and it will auto lock.
3. Tons of storage space! Like, cupholders, cubbies, drawers, niches EVERYWHERE! I can have three days worth of Starbucks in there, plus all the kids sippy cups, milk bottles, toys, my coupons bag, extra prayer rug, emergency flats (for when the stilettos aren’t working lol), an umbrella, a purse, etc. and everything has a compartment or surface space. The backs of the front seats even feature two compartments as a catch all for the kids toys, extra clothes, numerous art works from school, etc.
4. Extra large trunk space is heaven! Without even folding down any seats, I can fit one regular stroller, a double stroller, and groceries in the trunk alone! The amount of “emergency” items my car carries for the kids is crazy – and there’s enough space for all of it! Not to mention, it’s a hands free tailgate – awesome if there’s a tot in hand while I’m loading things up.
5. The dash and infotainment system has a fancy touch screen with a smartphone kind of look. It also has Apple CarPlay.
6. New driver assist and safety technology like Lane Keeping Assistance which ensures you’re driving straight and alerts you if you start drifting out of your lane unknowingly. Like when all three kids start pulling each other’s hair at the same time and you can’t help but keep looking back and reaching back to mediate. It also has adaptive cruise control which keeps track of the car ahead of you and adjusts speed accordingly. Honestly just the sound of something taking some pressure off your tired mind sounds great to this mom.
7. Cabin Control: a genius feature where the driver can clearly and safely speak to back passengers without yelling their tired lungs out. It broadcasts through the speakers in the back and also works through headphones when the kids are watching TV. I believe there’s an app for it too. There is also an app that allows passengers in the back to be able to control the front audio, TV, and rear temperature.
8. Are We There Yet? Don’t worry about your kids harassing you with this question anymore – this cool app on the dash displays where you are on the map and time left (similar to airplanes).
9. MAGIC SLIDE SEATS! The seats in the second row move side to side along with front and back, which allows for flexibility in configurations and easier access to the back row if desired. This is SO practical for growing/changing families.
10. Third row is actually pretty roomy and comfortable. It also has latches for even more carseats… great for overzealous couples (hahaha) OR for carpool options during the school year.
11. Capless fueling which worried me at first, but now I just love the convenience of it. One less thing to remember.
12. Moonroof. I’m obsessed with having sunroofs in cars because I love the extra airflow and light in the car.
13. Sunshades built in for the second row. Enough said.
14. Ours doesn’t have the following two features but the next model up includes a built in vacuum for all those pesky snacks that inevitably decorate your car floor. Also an in-cabin camera that displays what’s going on in the back. Great for peeking in on the littles.
If all of the above features haven’t convinced you that this car just makes life with littles easier, then maybe you need to go test-drive one or rent it for the weekend so that you can get hooked too!
This post is not sponsored in any way, not part of any collaboration. I’m literally getting nothing out of this. I just genuinely have found the Honda Odyssey to be an amazing addition to our family and wanted to share all of this for everyone who has ever asked me how I like my minivan.
And in case it still isn’t clear… I like it A LOT. 🙂